Our company’s history
The “Nassauische Rheinhütte Gesellschaft” is founded as a blast furnace works.
Conversion of the blast furnace works into an iron foundry
The “Rheinhütte Gesellschaft” is taken over by Professor Ludwig Beck. Beck, born on 10th June 1841 in Darmstadt is a steelworks specialist. He not only excels as a successful scientist, but also shows himself to be a pioneer in the social field. Even before Bismarck’s social legislation he introduces company sickness and old age benefits.
The workforce of “Rheinhütte Ludwig Beck and Co.”, as the company is now called, grows quickly. The focal point of production is now on manufacturing of cast parts, their machining and general mechanical engineering.
Rheinhütte casts machine and pipe parts for the nearby Kalle and Albert chemical factories and also for cement manufacturer Dyckerhoff.
Vieweg technical publishers bring out the “The Story of Iron” by Professor Ludwig Beck in five volumes. His major literary work is still used as a standard work throughout the world today.
Start of the development of corrosion resistant metallic materials.
Manufacturing of acid resistant silicon cast-iron with a high Si content for the first time. Even nowadays this material is the first choice for many applications.
This year Dipl.-Ing Wilhelm Beck, born on 16th May 1881 in Wiesbaden Biebrich, takes over management of the company from his father and pushes forward with further expansion and the modernisation of the mechanical workshops. Rheinhütte withstands the difficult years of the First World War thanks to countless new developments, and by the end of the war only has 125 employees.
On 23rd July Professor Ludwig Beck dies.
Rheinhütte develops the first cement slurry pumps.
The glandless hydrodynamically sealed centrifugal chemical pump is developed and originated at Rheinhütte.
The first chemical pumps made of cast silicon iron are built and used.
From this year onwards, in an unbroken sequence, Rheinhütte has presented its products at ACHEMA, the world’s largest exhibition for the trade.
Development and manufacturing of the first Rheinhütte chemical valves.
Meanwhile in Rheinhütte pumps are being manufactured from silicon iron, grey iron, gunmetal and steel castings, from stainless steel, bronzes and hard lead.
Wilhelm Beck also guides the story of the company during the Second World War. As the brother of Colonel General Ludwig Beck, born on the 29th June, 1880 in Wiesbaden Biebrich, he is taken to Sippenhaft immediately after the assassination attempt of 20th July 1944. Ludwig Beck was a leading member of the resistance to Hitler and after a successful push was scheduled to be head of state; he died in evening of the 20th July.
The complete dismantling of Rheinhütte. The Allied Commission however soon permitted rebuilding.
The mercurial development of the chemical industry worldwide causes Rheinhütte to build up an international sales organization.
Wilhelm Beck dies on the 10th July. The management of Rheinhütte is taken over by his only son Dipl.-Ing Walter Beck.
Commissioning of a modern stainless steel foundry. At the same time new research laboratories and an independent quality assurance authority is established.
Thanks to participation in VKP Vereinigte Kunststoff Pumpen GmbH in Rennerod the range of pumps is expanded with this manufacturing branch.
The Friedrichsfeld group, today FRIATEC AG, takes over Rheinhütte and ensures the existence of what up to now has been a family concern. In the period that followed, the economic strength of Rheinhütte is considerably increased by concentrating on the core business, the building of chemical pumps, and also by the relocation of the foundry to Portugal.
With the transfer of the Friedrichsfeld ceramic pump range, the oldest range of chemical pumps in the world, Rheinhütte gained new technological impetus at the Wiesbaden site.
Opening of the first Service-Center in Wiesbaden.
Certification to DIN ISO 9001 takes place.
Takeover of FRIATEC AG by Glynwed of England, a member of the Glynwed Pipe Systems Group.
Glynwed Pipe Systems is taken over by the Etex Group of Belgium.
The ETEX Group is restructured. The company divisions Technical Plastics, Technical Ceramics and Mechanical Engineering will have a new name: Aliaxis. This gives rise to an international group of companies, with 12,000 employees in 88 companies, with presence in a total of 37 countries covering all continents.
150th Anniversary of the Rheinhütte Company